KRFL - a football simulation league
Forums
KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2022 Season League Business
Rule Change Proposal - Increase Roster size - WITHDRAWN << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
Salem
Fri Mar 18 2022, 11:10p.m.
Registered Member #25

I prefer other proposals to this one, so I have withdrawn this proposal.

Current Rule: 55 players per Rule 4.1

Proposed Rule: 59 players and add $1.0 million salary cap increase

Explanation:

There are quite a few reasons to increase the roster sizes 1 more time.

1. Teams operate with a 53 man roster and a 6 man taxi squad. The players on the taxi squad sometimes rotate depending upon matchups and injuries. No NFL team players with just 53 man rosters the entire year. Neither should we.

2. Since we add a rule that lets you keep your draft picks an extra year - we should have the roster space to keep those players. Some players - especially in later rounds - develop slowly. Adding extra roster spots allows teams to keep later round draft picks and let them develop.

3. Have you ever played a game against a team with multiple injuries at the same position? I have played countless times where my KRFL opponent has less than the ideal number of healthy players at one position. We cannot control when a player gets hurt. In the NF, those players are replaced the following week from the taxi squad or FA signings. In KRFL, we just play players out of position. Having additional roster spots will help prevent this situation. There were several instances where teams had 47 or 48 healthy players for a game - and that was with 55 man rosters. With less players, we would have several games where teams would not be able to field 46 healthy players.

4. It is more realistic. I like being as realistic and mimicking the NFL as much as possible.

5. In KRFL 2020, there are 792 FA players available. In 2021, there were 934. There are so many players available. And it shows how many players it takes to make it through an entire NFL season.

6. We are going from a 16 to 17 game season. Even more reason to have a couple extra players.

I do not see any reason to reduce roster sizes, but I hope you can see there are quite a few reasons to expand!

[ Edited Thu Mar 24 2022, 12:47p.m. ]
MarkB
Fri Mar 18 2022, 11:34p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Regarding #3 It is addressed via http://www.aaroncraneinstitute.com/football/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?14268

Regarding #5, that was because we were using the n2020 NFL stats and COVID has a huge impact on players and rosters that season.

Regarding #6, so did the NFL and they did not increase roster sizes.

I am against adding any more roster spots as I feel it will hurt teams trying to rebuild and be competitive.
Salem
Fri Mar 18 2022, 11:49p.m.
Registered Member #25

That rule would make things incredibly restrictive if we reduced or kept rosters at the same size.

MarkB wrote ...

"Regarding #5, that was because we were using the n2020 NFL stats and COVID has a huge impact on players and rosters that season."

That is incorrect - KRFL 2018 lists 782 Free agents - this was before COVID. NFL teams use way more players then we do and have roster flexibility that we don't.

MarkB wrote ...

"Regarding #6, so did the NFL and they did not increase roster sizes."

Did NFL teams only use the 55 (or 52 players) they started the year with? Of course not! NFL teams operate with at least 59 and sometimes many more players to make it through the season. So - in may ways the answer is yes - teams used additional players to make it through 17 games.

[/quote1647661176]
MarkB
Sat Mar 19 2022, 08:31a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Re: Did NFL teams only use the 55 (or 52 players) they started the year with? Of course not! NFL teams operate with at least 59 and sometimes many more players to make it through the season. So - in may ways the answer is yes - teams used additional players to make it through 17 games.

NFL teams use more players and KRL teams use less players because in KRFL we have the advantage of knowing how the player will perform during the season, whether or not a player will get hurt and for how long. The NFL teams do not know that ahead of time.

KRFL-BayCity
Sun Mar 20 2022, 05:14a.m.
Registered Member #12

BAY CITY would support increasing roster size to any number, as long as gameday active rosters stayed the same(being able to deactivate certain players and call up others for games would help manage usage).... the salary cap should remain the same though, or the $1mil increase you propose); you benefit from extra players if you use your salary cap wisely....
MarkB
Sun Mar 20 2022, 09:30a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

KRFL-BayCity wrote ...

BAY CITY would support increasing roster size to any number, as long as gameday active rosters stayed the same(being able to deactivate certain players and call up others for games would help manage usage).... the salary cap should remain the same though, or the $1mil increase you propose); you benefit from extra players if you use your salary cap wisely....

An issue with that is who decides which players are inactive? If we require the coaches to do it, I guarantee some will forget and they will have too many active players when an injured player becomes healthy, some will send a new coach's file to their opponent 30 seconds before the start of the game. The other option is to have the game decide who is inactive, which is does based on player heath and durability rating. Regardless, I am not in favor of increasing roster sizes and taking more players out of the pool of players available in the Free Agent Draft.
mark
Sun Mar 20 2022, 11:04a.m.
Registered Member #45

I’m not in favor of expanded or complicated weekly coaching files. It’s just a replacement for player grabs, just like the free agent thing use to be. It’s not really about functioning better as a team week to week.
Salem
Mon Mar 21 2022, 09:08a.m.
Registered Member #25

mark wrote ...

I’m not in favor of expanded or complicated weekly coaching files. It’s just a replacement for player grabs, just like the free agent thing use to be. It’s not really about functioning better as a team week to week.

I addressed your concern in my taxi squad proposal. Your issue was the reason I came up with that rule! Teams get extra roster spots AND you get your less complicated coaches file. Win-Win.
noodles
Wed Mar 23 2022, 03:39a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Nope, but I wouldn't argue with keeping the current limit of 55. See my comments in the "taxi squad" thread.

[ Edited Wed Mar 23 2022, 03:42a.m. ]
MarkB
Thu Mar 24 2022, 08:46a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

I feel the proposals to modify the injured reserve rule and create a practice squad/development roster are better for the league than this proposal and therefore cannot support it.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF