KRFL - a football simulation league
Forums
KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2022 Season League Business
Change in Rule on Minimum Players at Defensive Positions << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
MarkB
Fri Mar 18 2022, 09:39p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Because NFL defensives have changed from using configurations well beyond only 4-3 or 3-4, and many defensive players now play (and are rated at) multiple positions, beginning with the 2022 season rule 4.4 and the minimum number of players required at certain defensive positions is changing as follows:

Current Rules require the following:
6 Defensive Linemen (minimum of 2 Defensive Tackles and 2 Defensive Ends)
6 Linebackers (minimum of 1 Inside LB and 2 Outside LBs)

Beginning for the 2022 season, the rules above will be replaced with the following:
7 players rated at Defensive End or Outside Linebacker
5 players rated at Defensive Tackle or Inside Linebacker
Players rated DL count as DE and DT
Players rated LB count as OLB and ILB

[ Edited Thu Apr 07 2022, 10:44p.m. ]
Salem
Fri Mar 18 2022, 11:15p.m.
Registered Member #25

I am interested in this idea - though I think 5 is not enough for DT/ILB. I could easily draft 3 DTs, and 2 ILBs and go into a game with 1 healthy DT. When that guy gets tired, I would have to play some one out of position.

I proposed increasing roster sizes, and if we did that, we could increase the minimum amount at some positions to make sure a situation like the one above does not happen.
MarkB
Tue Mar 22 2022, 04:55p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Salem wrote ...

I am interested in this idea - though I think 5 is not enough for DT/ILB. I could easily draft 3 DTs, and 2 ILBs and go into a game with 1 healthy DT. When that guy gets tired, I would have to play some one out of position.

I proposed increasing roster sizes, and if we did that, we could increase the minimum amount at some positions to make sure a situation like the one above does not happen.

These are minimums. Teams can, and should, carry more players than the minimum at each position.
MarkB
Tue Mar 22 2022, 04:57p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

This is NOT a rule change proposal. This is a rule change I am implementing as Commissioner.

Further, I am amending the original post to also change the current rule for minimum number of corner backs to reflect how often Nickel and Dime defenses are used as offenses routinely use three and four wide receivers.

Because NFL defensives have changed from using configurations well beyond only 4-3 or 3-4, and many defensive players now play (and are rated at) multiple positions, beginning with the 2022 season rule 4.4 and the minimum number of players required at certain defensive positions is changing as follows:

Current Rules require the following:
6 Defensive Linemen (minimum of 2 Defensive Tackles and 2 Defensive Ends)
6 Linebackers (minimum of 1 Inside LB and 2 Outside LBs)
7 Defensive Backs (minimum of 2 Cornerbacks and 2 Safeties)

Beginning for the 2022 season, the rules above will be replaced with the following:
7 players rated at Defensive End or Outside Linebacker
5 players rated at Defensive Tackle or Inside Linebacker
7 Defensive Backs (minimum of 3 Cornerbacks and 2 Safeties)

Players rated DL count as DE and DT
Players rated LB count as OLB and ILB
Players rated DB count as CB and S

[ Edited Tue Mar 22 2022, 05:09p.m. ]
Salem
Wed Mar 23 2022, 02:57p.m.
Registered Member #25

Sounds good!
Inverness
Thu Mar 24 2022, 02:48p.m.

ok

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF