KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: 2023 Season League Business
Durability Ratings in 2023 Game << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
MarkB
Thu May 04 2023, 03:57p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Thank you to Roberto Tosco for alerting me to this as I had not noticed it.
Action PC Football has changed how Durability Ratings were assigned in the 2023 game.

Previously it was essentially a percentage of games played divided by 17 divided by 10. So a player who played in 7 games got a durability rating of 3games divided by 17games divided by 10 = 2.9% = Durability of 3. A player with 12 games got a durability rating of 12 games divided by 17 games divided by 10 = 7.1% = Durability of 7.

In the 2023 game, this was changed without and disclosure or explanation. Now it appears any player who played in 7 games or less is given a durability rating of 4 regardless if they played in 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 7 games. A player who played in 8 games gets a durability rating of 5 based on the formula described in the preceding paragraph. (Although I understand the minimum durability rating is 4, I've found five players with a durability rating of 2 or 3. Oh well.)

KRFL current has a rule that states:
Any veteran player whose contract has not expired must be protected or cut with a salary cap penalty unless they have a DUR rating (durability) that is no more than 3 (i.e. is 3 or less).

Unless there is significant push back on this or someone comes up with something else that makes more sense to me, because of the change in the way the durability rating is being assigned for the 2023 season, I am making the following temporary change to the current rule for the 2023 season only:
Any veteran player whose contract has not expired must be protected or cut with a salary cap penalty unless they played in FIVE games or less in the 2022 NFL season.

Where does the five games come from? When we originally passed the rule using a durability of 3 it was based on playing 30% of less of a 16 game NFL season. 16 games multiplied by 30% is 4.8 which rounds to 5. Ta-Da! Five games.

So for 2023 we will use the temporary rule Any veteran player whose contract has not expired must be protected or cut with a salary cap penalty unless they played in FIVE games or less in the 2022 NFL season.

We can vote to change it in the off-season.

[ Edited Mon May 08 2023, 09:24p.m. ]
MarkB
Thu May 04 2023, 04:14p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

A poster in the other league I run states:

A few years back DK started to phase out the 1-2-3 durability levels and use 4 as the low point. Also remember that the durability is assigned to games active, not games played. This is why you have always had backup quarterbacks and linemen, etc with higher durability ratings than you would expect based on games played. Being available to play counts toward durability.
Salem
Thu May 04 2023, 04:47p.m.
Registered Member #25

I would love if we went to a combination of durability, games, snaps and/or value. I have a player rated 4- durability who played in 6 games - but barely played in a couple of them. He only played 187 snaps the whole season due to injury. There are players who played in less games who either played way more snaps or are rated higher because of the amount of snaps they played in their 4 games.
mark
Thu May 04 2023, 04:58p.m.
Registered Member #45

Thanks Mark, seems like a good solution for this year.
MarkB
Thu May 04 2023, 11:53p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

****THIS IS UNDER REVIEW*****

There are terrible inconsistencies in the durability ratings and QB's may be treated differently from all other players since they can be active for many games but appear in few.

For example:
QB Kyle Allen had 2 games and 2 starts in NFL, yet has a durability rating of 8.
CB Zyon McCollum played in 13 games and started 3 and also has a durability rating of 8.
QB Trevor Siemian had 3 games with one start and has durability rating of 7.
WR Andy Isabella who appeared in 5 games with no starts has a durability rating of 3.
LB Reggie Raglan who appeared in 4 games with 2 starts has durability rating of 4

CJ Beathard was Trevor Lawrence's backup all last season. He appeared in 4 games for four kneel downs and one game where he had 11 pass attempts. He got a durability rating of 10.

Apparently "games" in the stats in the game are games played, not games on the active roster. However, games on the active roster are apparently what the durability rating is based on (that is my assumption, not a fact).

I have a message into DKSports and until I get an answer(s) back I reserve the right to change this revised rule.

Thanks and sorry.

[ Edited Thu May 04 2023, 11:54p.m. ]
MarkB
Fri May 05 2023, 01:14p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

I have not yet gotten a response back from DKSports on this other than a message that they will look into this, but durability ratings of QB's ARE handled different than all other positions. But I already knew that.

Prior to the 2018 KRFL season, when we change the rule from being based on games to being based on a player's durability rating, the rule was a player with THREE GAMES or less could be cut without a salary cap penalty.

So I am considering amending this again to use 3 games instead of the 5 games since there is a precedent/history for 3 games and I believe that was was the change to using durability rating in 2018 was based on.

MarkB
Fri May 05 2023, 04:36p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Message from DK Sports 4:30pm:

The QBs are correct. Skill players 4 or less are not al correct. Working on a clean and easy auto-correct.
MarkB
Mon May 08 2023, 09:09p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

I received a new game patch from DKSports tonight which modified durability ratings for players that had been initially given a durability rating of 4. Many of them are now 1, 2, or 3. You will notice the change on the next league file I post, which will be later tonight.

With that, we will not need to amend our rule that only players with a durability rating of 3 or less can be designated as an Injured Reserve player or be released with no salary cap penalty.
MarkB
Thu May 18 2023, 06:57p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

So it appears while some of the durability ratings changed as they should, some did not. As a result, we will have to go with the temporary rule I originally proposed, with one modification since QB durability ratings are handled differently as confirmed by DKSPorts. Therefore....

I am making the following temporary change to the current rule for the 2023 season only:

Any veteran player, other than a QB, whose contract has not expired must be protected or cut with a salary cap penalty unless they have or durability rating of three (3) or less, OR they played in FIVE games or less in the 2022 NFL season.

We will need to revisit this rule in the off-season.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF