Trial Ballon - Draft Order << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
MarkB
Thu Mar 05 2020, 09:32a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Since the euphoria of Jim's proposals has died down, I thought I would float this trial balloon regarding the draft order.
What if instead of the draft order being based on wins and losses it was based on player salaries? But using the Action PC player salaries in the game and not the KRFL player salary.

So...
In late April 2021, Action PC Sports releases the 2020 NFL file. Each team's total salary, based on their 52 player roster BEFORE roster cuts is determined using the Action PC Sports player salaries (the players KRFL salary is ignored).
Teams are ranked by total salary from Lowest to Highest.
The Rookie and Free Agent Draft order is determined as follows:
>The four teams with the lowest Action PC total team salary enter the annual lottery for the first pick. Each team has an equal chance at the first pick.
>The prior season KRFL Super Bowl team picks last.
>The prior season KRFL Super Bowl losing team picks second to last.
>ALL other teams, BOTH playoff and non-Playoff teams pick in order of lowest Action PC team salary to highest Action PC team salary.

This Proposal would be for the 2022 Draft. It would NOT impact the 2021 draft.

[ Edited Sun Jan 10 2021, 04:34p.m. ]
KRFL-BayCity
Fri Mar 06 2020, 11:11a.m.
Registered Member #12

I'd say 'NO'.... what would be the purpose of using the previous year's salaries, when many players will be lost before the actual season anyway just due to free agancy or let alone cuts.... perhaps if you use the salaries for all veterans only who are under contract for the upcoming season....

there is never going to be a good solution to prevent the also-rans from so-called tanking; the most reasonable alternative is to give the non-tankers some incentive for winning more....
MarkB
Fri Mar 06 2020, 09:19p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

KRFL-BayCity wrote ...

I'd say 'NO'.... what would be the purpose of using the previous year's salaries, when many players will be lost before the actual season anyway just due to free agancy or let alone cuts.... perhaps if you use the salaries for all veterans only who are under contract for the upcoming season....

there is never going to be a good solution to prevent the also-rans from so-called tanking; the most reasonable alternative is to give the non-tankers some incentive for winning more....

------------------------

It isn't "prior year salary". It is the Action PC salary for the season we are playing. So for the 2021 draft it is their salary in the 2021 release of the game. Of course that salary is based on the players 2020 NFL performance. So maybe that caused the confusion?
So let me re-state the proposal:

In late April 2021, Action PC Sports releases the 2021 game file (which uses the player's 2020 NFL stats and 2020 performance). This is the file KRFL will use for its 2021 season.
Each team's total salary, based on their 52 player roster BEFORE roster cuts is determined using the Action PC Sports player salaries (the players KRFL salary is ignored).
Teams are ranked by total salary from Lowest to Highest.
The Rookie and Free Agent Draft order is determined as follows:
>The four teams with the lowest Action PC total team salary enter the annual lottery for the first pick. Each team has an equal chance at the first pick.
>ALL other teams, BOTH playoff and non-Playoff teams pick in order of lowest Action PC team salary to highest Action PC team salary.
noodles
Sun Mar 08 2020, 03:00a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

There is no perfect solution to the draft order issue and this one is as good if not better than any of the others floated so far including mine. I could support it unless someone points out an unintended consequence hidden in its simplicity.
noodles
Mon Mar 09 2020, 01:56a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

We have at least three mutually exclusive proposals dealing with this issue. It occurs to me that without some compromise and consensus and an inevitable divided vote between them, none of them will pass.

[ Edited Mon Mar 09 2020, 01:58a.m. ]
MarkB
Mon Mar 09 2020, 11:15a.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

I am biased of course, but I really think this is the best proposal to deal with "tanking" and a "rescue plan" if in fact those need to be dealt with ( I am still unconvinced).

It:
= Does not rely on wins & losses to determine draft order. So teams don't have that incentive/motivation to lose games.
= After the season over, no team will know the draft order until the Action PC file comes out in Spring.
= A team who had a number of players get hurt or retire unexpectedly will see their draft position improve as the players Action PC salary will be reduced. This helps those teams for those members seeking a "Rescue Plan" rule.

I should add that my proposal also needs to include a provision that any "uncarded" players (i.e. player who do not receive a rating due to injury, retirement, etc, would receive a salary equal to what the minimum salary is for that season as established by Action PC. Currently it is $350,000).

noodles
Wed Mar 11 2020, 02:46a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

MarkB wrote ...

I am biased of course, but I really think this is the best proposal to deal with "tanking" and a "rescue plan" if in fact those need to be dealt with ( I am still unconvinced).

I agree that your idea could be the simplest and still effective solution. Unlike you, though, I am convinced that this needs to be dealt with. I hated that in week three last season a number of members were announcing fire sales for their players. Without the constraint of the recently limited in-season salary cap to $88m, we would have had a two-tiered league - one group of teams trying to win, and another deliberately trying to lose. As others have repeatedly noted, there is no incentive to play hard with a mediocre team.
KRFL-BayCity
Sat Mar 14 2020, 03:47p.m.
Registered Member #12

Mark wrote: In late April 2021, Action PC Sports releases the 2021 game file (which uses the player's 2020 NFL stats and 2020 performance). This is the file KRFL will use for its 2021 season.
Each team's total salary, based on their 52 player roster BEFORE roster cuts is determined using the Action PC Sports player salaries (the players KRFL salary is ignored).

I still have the same problem; you are going to be using salaries of players who will no longer be with the team that season.... many veterans will be lost due to contracts expiring so why should
their salaries be counted.... I would support it, if only the salaries of still contracted vets, signable free agents and rookies are used....
noodles
Tue Mar 17 2020, 03:54a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Jerry has a good point. How difficult would it be to restrict the salary number to "still contracted vets, signable free agents and rookies?" Don't want to add a lot of work for the commissioner.
MarkB
Sun Dec 20 2020, 09:52p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

noodles wrote ...

Jerry has a good point. How difficult would it be to restrict the salary number to "still contracted vets, signable free agents and rookies?" Don't want to add a lot of work for the commissioner.

---------------------------------------
I've been thinking again about this option for determining draft order. To answer Steve's question, which I am not sure why I did not in March, once DKSports releases the annual player file, I can "model" the league based upon each team's roster as of the end of the prior season, but with players whose contracts expired at the end of that season removed and the players drafted that season added. So this would be before any trades, and to Steve's question, it would only include the "still contracted vets, and signable free agents and rookies" on each team's roster. The game itself will determine each team's total "ActionPC Football team salary". Any "uncarded" players (i.e. player who do not receive a rating due to injury, retirement, ect...) would receive a salary equal to what the minimum salary is for that season as established by ActionPC. (Currently it is $350,000).

We'd rank KRFL teams based on their ActionPC Football team salary and determine the draft positions as per my original proposal:

= This system does not rely on wins & losses to determine draft order. So teams don't have that incentive/motivation to lose games.
= After the season over, no team will know the draft order until the Action PC file comes out in Spring.

[ Edited Sun Dec 20 2020, 10:00p.m. ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF