League Internet Game Defaults << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
MarkB
Mon Jul 15 2019, 06:36p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

In the 2019 version of the Football game, Action PC added league specific rules for internet play. It was determined that having the sound, video chalkboard and narrator turned on can slow down the game when it is played over the internet and some people prefer quicker game play. So the game now has an option to have any or all of these turn off or be allowed by default for the league. Since we do not use a play clock as some leagues do, I prefer to have sound on but the video chalkboard and narrator tuned off to speed up game play. What is your preference for each?

Should sound be turned off or allowed to be on by default for KRFL?
Should the video chalkboard be turned off or allowed to be on by default for KRFL?
Should the narrator be turned off or allowed to be on by default for KRFL?

Regardless of what we settle on, the two game coaches can agree between themselves whether they want each turned off or allowed.

[ Edited Mon Jul 15 2019, 06:39p.m. ]
sjenk
Mon Jul 15 2019, 06:54p.m.
Registered Member #73

I've never used any of these features. I'm all for quick game play, so I would vote 'off' unless opponents mutually agree.
Hawks
Mon Jul 15 2019, 07:38p.m.

I don't use any of these features. I would prefer "Off" for all options you listed.
MarkB
Mon Jul 15 2019, 07:58p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

Posted by a member of the other league I am in:

If you leave the video chalkboard enabled it causes a significant delay during game play, especially if both coaches do not have it enabled.

Here's how it works:

-- Video Chalkboard plays the animation for coach #1. Coach #2 waits while animation is being played.

-- Video chalkboard animation is then sent over IP to coach #2. If coach #2 has animation enabled, then coach #1 waits while animation plays. If coach #2 does not have chalkboard enabled, then coach #1 AND coach #2 wait while program searches for alternate display method.

-- Play result is then displayed to each coach.

The video chalkboard does not play simultaneously for both coaches. DK was receiving tons of complaints about long lag times after plays and it boiled down to this being the issue. So playing a game without chalkboard takes about 75 minutes. The same two coaches with one having chalkboard animation takes 110 minutes. If both coaches have VCB up the game takes about 95 minutes - all things being equal.
petethegreek
Mon Jul 15 2019, 08:21p.m.

MARK,

TURN OFF ALL THREE ,,, SET IT OFF WHEN YOU SEND OUT THE FIRST GAME FILES

PETE THE GREEK---KUTZTOWN
james
Mon Jul 15 2019, 08:58p.m.
Registered Member #86

I dont care about sound or narrator but prefer chalkboard
jonwolgamuth
Mon Jul 15 2019, 09:13p.m.
Registered Member #92

I'm fine with whatever everyone decides, but just so I understand, will penalties still be announced? I mean, I hear it WAY too often against my team in the other league, but still is kinda fun.

Also, am I the only one who really enjoys the playclock? That always increases my adrenaline and makes it more like a true NFL game. But I realize this isn't the question on the table. ;-)
MarkB
Mon Jul 15 2019, 10:14p.m.
Mark Blume

Registered Member #81

jonwolgamuth wrote ...

I'm fine with whatever everyone decides, but just so I understand, will penalties still be announced? I mean, I hear it WAY too often against my team in the other league, but still is kinda fun.

Also, am I the only one who really enjoys the playclock? That always increases my adrenaline and makes it more like a true NFL game. But I realize this isn't the question on the table. ;-)

---------------------

Penalties are only announced if the sound is not turned off. Which is why I like the sound to be on.

We've discussed using the play clock, and may have even voted on it in the past, but the league has never used it.

[ Edited Mon Jul 15 2019, 10:17p.m. ]
Jimbo0121712000
Tue Jul 16 2019, 03:14a.m.
Registered Member #21

Personally I have used the video chalkboard as long as I can remember and would consider it a big hit to my own personal enjoyment of the game if I wasnt using it. My games move pretty smoothly for the most part with it on. I think the biggest delay would be non use of a play clock. My longest games are typically in leagues with no play clock and the opponent not calling plays in a timely manner. Just my 2 cents.

[ Edited Tue Jul 16 2019, 03:14a.m. ]
noodles
Tue Jul 16 2019, 03:32a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

I'm with Jim. For whatever reason. I love the electric football like squares dancing about and grunting. I even enjoy the play by play narrator but I could live without it. For me, the crude animation is an important part of my enjoyment that I would be opposed to getting rid of. Is there a way that one team could run the animation and sound options while the other chooses not to? I'll try to play a couple hth games and see if that is possible. If game length is really an issue, I'd suggest turning on the play clock before turning off the fun stuff.

On edit:
"The video chalkboard does not play simultaneously for both coaches. DK was receiving tons of complaints about long lag times after plays and it boiled down to this being the issue. So playing a game without chalkboard takes about 75 minutes. The same two coaches with one having chalkboard animation takes 110 minutes. If both coaches have VCB up the game takes about 95 minutes - all things being equal."

That just doesn't make sense. How does one player using the chalk board take longer than both players using it? My experience is that games take between sixty and ninety minutes whatever the settings and I'm okay with that. I get a lot more irritated with lag caused by players who are slow to make decisions than by the lag caused between the two computers.

[ Edited Tue Jul 16 2019, 03:41a.m. ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF