KRFL :: Forums :: KRFL Forums :: General League Discussions
On Drafting Software and our recent glitch << Previous thread | Next thread >>
Moderators: noodles, MarkB
Author Post
noodles
Mon Jun 02 2014, 01:48a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

When I became commissioner I made it a priority to find draft software that we could use since our league membership is spread across 9 time zones and the need for an automated queue system was obvious. I knew that a few other leagues were using nifty software so I put out a call to our members for leads. I got little response but did get links to two leagues using software. The first league commissioner I contacted ignored multiple emails. The second offered to host our draft at $20 per member per year but would not make changes to accommodate our unique salary system. I spent a good deal of time looking elsewhere but found no feasible system. And so things sat for a year. I repeated my call for help in finding draft software and got no replies save one. Mark Haucke located a program and a programmer who was willing to adapt the software to our unique salary system. This would not be an easy task since the program was meant to be used for Front Office Football, a different game entirely. Over the past nine months, Mark and I have worked with the programmer to make the Front Office Football Draft Conscriptor suitable. It was not just our best option, it was our only option. Since then, dozens of man hours have gone into adapting the software and more hours were spent testing it by volunteers behind the scenes. By the time we got to this year's free agent draft we launched even though I knew things were imperfect and problems could arise. Now they have. Over the past weekend the programmer, our Finance Officer Mark Blume, Jerry, and myself have put in many hours repairing things. As we reboot, it's possible that more problems might also come up. With your patience, we'll again remedy them in short order and move closer to a system that does the job. Despite the glitches, I want to remind everyone that we're working hard and that this is a sincere and determined effort made by volunteers doing their best to improve the league.

[ Edited Mon Jun 02 2014, 01:49a.m. ]
Jimbo0121712000
Mon Jun 02 2014, 05:53p.m.
Registered Member #21

your efforts are highly appreciated and as long as we work thru the problems I think it will all be great for the long run.

[ Edited Mon Jun 02 2014, 08:56p.m. ]
noodles
Wed Jun 04 2014, 01:26a.m.
Webmaster

Registered Member #1

Thanks for the kudos, Jim.
petethegreek
Wed Jun 04 2014, 06:06p.m.

guys--- had set up the program to auto draft off myllist... round 12 wentfine... but round 13 I was skipped for no reason... I want vance walker dt... please correct... am unable to make this pick myself... please correct...

pete the greek---kutztown

Corrected. - Commissioner

[ Edited Wed Jun 04 2014, 08:07p.m. ]
rfick
Wed Jun 04 2014, 10:16p.m.

So I was checking to see if my late pick was up yet, and it wasn't. I go on to read news, etc. while leaving the KRFL window up. 30 minutes later I start hearing this LOUD chiming. I'm thinking, wth is that? I open the KRFL tab and see that I'm on the clock.

Nice feature!
rfick
Thu Jun 05 2014, 06:58p.m.

I might also add that it's taken a little time to adjust to this method of drafting, but it sure has a lot of benefits.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF